Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Day three, Rotana (and a little of Obama)

“Rotana" is a very nice hotel here in Khartoum where I had dinner last night. I ate a delicious international buffet! A girlfriend from NY was doing some temporary work in the area, so we met to catch up. The wait staff was all Sudanese and when one of them heard that we were Americans (my friend said we both were), he got carried away and went on and on about how much he didn't like Bush and how excited he was for Obama. He said he was very happy and would now travel to the U.S.A. with his family. He was quite genuine! I only watched part of Obama’s speech on BBC. I am sure it was a very fun day in the states!

At this restaurant we also had a very nice Sudanese dessert called "Um Ali", which is basically a mush of whatever bread is left over from breakfast, mixed in with a lot of butter, cream, milk and other not so healthy ingredients. I thought it was strange that the pastry chef had no problem in telling us that he uses any type of bread, "depending on what is left over". J

Anyway, day three for me was pretty hectic with UN bureaucracy. I am still getting set-up and need to run a lot around the compound area (under a very strong sun!) before I can start working. Things here also move at a much slower pace and I hear that a very commonly used word in the country is: "Inshalah". It means, God Willing! I hope it’s God’s will that I get an apartment soon too! J

It's 4am my time now and I just woke up. Still Jet legged…

bye bye for now.

3 comments:

  1. Humm... it sounds like you had some pudim de pao, nao? Make sure that you put some sunscreen on!!!! Take good care!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so nice to read your blog. Great to know you are fine with everything so far :)
    Thanks for sharing. We miss you here already. I hope you get your apartment soon because of Inshalah. ciao ciao !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you think you'll be able to get a license to take photos, and put up some photos of the Rotana?

    No Brasil, vcs sempre falao "se Deus quize", e como eu sempre responde, "sim, Deus quer!". Vc vai procurar apartamento rapidamente. Bjs.

    ReplyDelete