Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Grabbing Boy

The other day I had the weirdest thing happen to me since I arrived here in Khartoum. This cute little kid, who was not older than three, came and latched on me for like 5 minutes and only let go when my colleague gave him money. It was a very strange way to beg and a very uncomfortable situation for me. I could see a woman, whom I assumed was the mother, giving him instructions from the side of the street and that made me a little upset. She mumbled words and made gestures to him. Neither one looked at my face. I felt really like a log! :)

As I tried to walk, with him attached to my leg like a little dog, I felt very bad for him and upset with the woman. It was hot; the little boy was dirty and stinky. He didn’t even try to speak with me, nor did he put out his hand or made a sad face as most street beggars do here. He simply grabbed my back pocket and then my leg until he got one pound.
So odd!

No comments:

Post a Comment